Your life. Your family. Your lawyers.

My motion for enforcement was granted against my ex spouse, but they have not paid. What is the next step?


 In my divorce, I was to receive my car, but before our divorce was final, they totaled it and took the insurance money. I filed for enforcement of final judgement where it was ruled that she was to pay the money directly to me within 30 days. That deadline expired 07/06/13 and she has not paid me or offered any payments. Can I file for enforcement/contempt? What is the next step?


 If there is a court order mandating your ex to do something, and she fails to comply your only recourse is a motion for civil contempt. You shouldn’t wait as your claim is strongest close to the court violation.


Vanessa Vasquez de Lara, Esq. is the founder and owner of Vasquez de Lara Law Group, a law firm dedicated to assisting families with the legal issues affecting them, and their loved ones in family and probate court. Ms. Vasquez de Lara graduated cum laude from the University of Miami School of Law in 2002. She has been named to the 2015 Super Lawyers Rising Stars list and is an experienced family, probate, and guardianship litigator.

Leave a Reply


captcha *